Frequently Asked Questions


1) How do i know if my Title IX rights have been violated?

There are numerous ways that an educational institution can infringe on your Title IX rights before and after an instance of sexual misconduct. To learn more, please read our guide on common Title IX violations. If you have further questions, you may contact the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) via email at or review the OCR's Questions and Answers on Title IX and Sexual Violence


2) Do I need a lawyer to file a Title ix complaint?  

Though some choose to retain a lawyer to help navigate the process, you do not need a lawyer and may file a Title IX complaint without legal counsel. It should be noted that this website exists to simplify the process, but if you seek specific legal advice we recommend that you contact an attorney. 


3) Can I file an ANONYMOUS Complaint?

Yes, you may file an anonymous complaint if someone else (the primary complainant) is filing the Title IX complaint on your behalf. The primary complainant will have to provide their name and contact information in the complaint. You may download a sample complaint that provides an example of an anonymous complaint. 

If you are filing on behalf of yourself, you will have to include your name and contact information, which will remain confidential to OCR. 



The statute of limitations is 180 days from when the last Title IX violation occurred (please click here to learn more about what constitutes a Title IX violation). However, you have the right to request a waiver if the violations fall outside of this window.


5) To Whom should the Title IX complaint be sent to? 

Your Title IX complaint should be sent to the Office of Civil Rights. You can mail your complaint or send your complaint in an email to Should you wish to mail your Title IX complaint, you can find the address and phone number of your local OCR enforcement office here


6) I am concerned that my school may retaliate against me if I make a Title IX Complaint. What kind of support is available for me if I face retaliation from my school? 

Federal civil rights law strictly prohibits schools from retaliating against individuals who have filed a Title IX complaint. If your school is retaliating against you, you can record the incident (by saving emails or written/recorded communications) and report the incident to the Office of Civil Rights. If the retaliation is placing you in danger, you can make a police report. 

Some examples of retaliation include: 

  1. Pressuring you not to speak to the media
  2. Pressuring you not to name your assailant, or punishing you for doing so
  3. Disciplining you for protesting the treatment of survivors